Service DirectorBoston, MA
The role of Service Director includes all responsibilities and duties leading the service department as well as a larger responsibility to communicate, plan and develop policy and activities central to Gourmet’s overall plans and performance with other department managers.
• Minimum 2 years experience leading event (opposed to restaurant) service staff
• 10 + years of hospitality experience and/or fine dining service experience
• Commitment to passionately, intensely, uncompromisingly humble hospitality and high-quality guest experience
• Posses ability to create the systems, structure, and tools to support growth specifically around service and guest relations
• Has an entrepreneurial spirit-bring ideas and a point of view to the table, not just an ability to execute what are told to do
• Possess leadership skills- an ability to teach, coach and develop a team of more than 200 people , understanding that their success is your success
• Mindful to guest needs, strong sense of urgency that can respond quickly
• Ability to handle interruptions and distractions without losing focus on details
• Exceptional organizational & time management skills
• Possess ability to prioritize effectively
• Effective communicator one-on-one or in front of large groups
• Shared love of great food, beverage and service
· Treat people well
• Hire, develop and discipline service team in a professional and consistent manner.
• Manage staffing department to coordinate all service department activities both in the office and on the job
• Forecast expected labor requirements and ensure ample qualified staff for various peaks and valleys in business cycle.
• Develop formal training modules for all off-premise departments and train team members in an efficient and proactive manner that rewards development and identifies clear and measurable “markers”
• Hold all team members accountable to time, attendance, appearance and performance
• Interact with sales, operations and culinary staff to maximize effectiveness and cohesiveness of all service staff while working to improve product and reduce costs.
• Maintain annual service payroll costs at or below budget.
• Enhance and maintain computerized scheduling report form
• Ensure proper staffing levels using Nowsta and Caterease software platforms
• Maintain proper relations with temporary service staff companies. Secure best possible staff at lowest price available. Routinely source new agencies and “shop” pricing and critically review services provided
• Advise sales team as to best utilization of all service staff.
• Mentor junior and directly reporting managers
• Maintain and elevate service standards and presentation elements toward ongoing product improvement
• Control cost of, labor through constant follow-up and clear direction of duty. Review and minimize potential overtime
• Balance scheduling and seek most effective possible service staff
• Monitor, evaluate, and advise sales and operations teams regarding service related issues.
• Assure that all items purchased are first approved on a signed purchase order.
• Attain written approval for any new or adjusted pay rates prior to formalizing offer/adjustment to employees, in accordance with published guidelines.
• Familiarize self with local competitive services and consider proper “stance “related to furthering interests of Gourmet Caterers.
• Build knowledge base of best practices in catering, and hospitality industry
• Participate in company meetings/ trainings/ team buildings as scheduled
• 80% of time will be focused on service operations at multiple venues and off premise locations throughout Boston and Massachusetts. 20% of time will be focused on overseeing administrative functions of service department in the office.
• Attend related Sales and Promotional activities as requested
• Attend site inspections/ client meetings/ and events as requested
• Any other long range projects and duties as defined by Management